Welcome to Parent and baby classes, designed for babies and toddlers aged 3 to 36 months, with a parent or carer.
the Parent and baby program is a great chance for your child to gain water awareness and water safety skills, an understanding of the water environment, and of breathing, buoyancy and balance.
- Development of body awareness, confidence, and mobility in the aquatic environment
- An introduction to skills, physical activity and co-ordination, and motor skill development
- A bonding opportunity between child and carer, and a social environment for all participants
- An environment that facilitates fun, enjoyment, safety.
Carers play an important role in this class. Your participation in guiding your child through activities, songs and praising your child’s efforts are important. We will guide you in correct holds and skills.
Parent and baby classes aims to teach carers
- How to help infants become accustomed to water
- Holding positions and when to use them
- Rules for helping children learn
Parent and baby classes aims to teach young children
- Water awareness
- Safe water entry
- Blowing bubbles
- Water submersion
- Front and back kick
- Arm movement
- Exploring underwater
- Monkey grip
- Jumping into the water, kicking to the surface
- Pool exit
Health And Safety
To maintain a healthy and safe pool environment, please refrain from lessons if you (the parent/guardian), or your child, are suffering from any of the following communicable conditions:
- Viral infections, such as colds, sore throats or fever
- Cold sores
- Urinary Tract Infections
If unsure whether you should participate, please seek your doctor’s advice.
Unless toilet trained, your child must wear a Swimmer’s nappy at all times while in the water. Any disposable or non-disposable nappy with a seal around the leg area is fine. They are also available for purchase at reception.
Most young babies have a bowel motion immediately after feeding. Ensuring your child does not have a full feed within an hour of the class is a good precaution.